These films are forbidden under the laws of the Greater Nazi Reich and are highly sought-after by both American Resistance and Adolf Hitler. Hawthorne Abendsen, the "Man in the High Castle" is a collector of these films.
The newsreels show a variety of possible timelines, which differ from both our history as well as the alternate history shown in the series. Major events shown in the newsreels include mass executions of people who are known to be alive after a Nazi nuclear attack on San Francisco in the 1960s, and Stalin being alive in 1954, instead of his having died in 1949 in the series' chronology, and 1953 in our world.
- Juliana Crain watches a film that shows the Allies victory in WW II and the Tehran Conference. (Real life)
- Joe Blake describes the film he watched as a Soviet propaganda video of 1954, where Joseph Stalin is still alive.
- Hitler watched a film about the siege and fall of Berlin in 1945. (Real life)
- Juliana and Frank watch a film that show events in the near future - the nuclear bombing of San Francisco, followed by SS agents (including Joe) executing a group of survivors (including Frank).
- Hawthorne Abendsen and Juliana watches the film of a prediction of George Dixon's death in the future, which later happened when Juliana shot Dixon.
- Hawthorne Abendsen reveals to Juliana that she died in the films, due to "fear and violence."
Franklin D. Roosevelt
The TV series offers little information about Roosevelt, although it does mention he was assassinated before taking office. While the TV series doesn't specify the identity of the murderer or when the assassination took place, it's generally assumed to be the same as in the novel. The characters in the Tv series occasionally discuss Roosevelt's demise. They privately wonder if the world would be a different place if he had survived his murder.
Notes & Trivia
- In the original novel by Philip K. Dick, Grasshopper is not a film, but rather a novel-within-a-novel written by Hawthorne Abendsen. It describes an alternate reality where the Allies defeated the Axis in World War II. However, the book itself itself is about an alternative reality in a alternative reality describing a world where the Cold War is not between the Soviet Union and the USA, but between the USA and the British Empire. Where the British managed to win the war with their empire untouched and thanks to the semi-authoritarian rule of Winston Churchill, who is leading the country into a Cold War against the USA, with instead a Nationalist China as USA ally and a Soviet Union which never recover from World War II. It also implicated by one of the character of the book, that in the end the British Empire unleash World War III, which manage to win.
- The name of the films is a reference to a Biblical verse (Ecclesiastes 12:5) -
- "Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets."